Bid To Host 2017 Cameco Hockey Day in Sask
The Saskatchewan Hockey Association would like to advise Minor Hockey Associations within Zone 8 that the SHA will be accepting bids to host the 2017 Cameco Hockey Day in Saskatchewan on January 20-22, 2017.
Cameco Hockey Day in Saskatchewan was recently held in Wadena and the host committee raised over $100,000 for their arena project.
The following criteria will be used to select a community to serve as the host for the 2017 event:
- The Minor Hockey Association is a member in good standing with the SHA.
- A detailed Host Committee structure for the event is in place.
- A detailed agenda for a weekend of activities is included (see attached suggested agenda/activities for the event).
- If possible, all teams within Minor Hockey have an opportunity to be involved.
- The community has an action plan to build a new arena or renovate the existing arena.
- A proposed budget for the weekend.
- A local promotional plan.
The SHA will provide the following assistance to the host community;
- $5,000 Hosting Grant
- Provincial Promotional Poster Campaign
- Local Poster Campaign promoting the host community
- Silent auction items
- Guest speaker or assist in obtaining a guest speaker
- Securing of teams for hockey games
This event proved to be a tremendous promotion over the course of the past eight years and the SHA sees this event getting larger and more popular each year.
Please submit your Bid to Host the 2017 Cameco Hockey Day in Saskatchewan event to the SHA Office by April 1, 2016. A recommendation will be made to the SHA Board of Directors for approval at their meeting scheduled for the April 22-24 weekend.
If you would like to download the tips from the Host Committees for Hockey Weekend in Saskatchewan, as well as a suggested Agenda of Activities for Hockey Weekend in Saskatchewan please CLICK HERE.
Wadena Named Cameco Hockey Day In Sask Host
The community of Wadena was in the spotlight on January 13th-17th after winning the right to host Cameco Hockey Day in Saskatchewan.
View the new video here.
The local organizing committee has raised over $101,000 for rink improvements by hosting a series of events including:
- Banquet featuring TSN personality Darren Dutchyshen
- SJHL game featuring the Battlefords North Stars versus Notre Dame
- Midget AAA boys game involving Tisdale and Notre Dame
- Midget AAA girls game between Melville and Swift Current
- PJHL contest featuring the Tri Town Thunder and Traveland RV Storm
Cameco Hockey Day in Saskatchewan is the third Saturday in January, but the hockey festival stretches over several days as local minor hockey teams from the area become involved. In total, there were 12 games scheduled during the five-day stretch.
This marks the first time Wadena – population 1,300 – hosted the event.
In addition communities from across Saskatchewan are encouraged to host their very own Cameco Hockey Day in Saskatchewan activities and events. All who take part will be entered for a chance to win $1,000 for your Minor Hockey Association. Simply fill out this FORM with the details.
Cameco Hockey Day in Saskatchewan is a partnership between the Saskatchewan Hockey Association, Cameco and the host community each winter.
Cameco & SHA Excited for Another Season
The Saskatchewan Hockey Association and Cameco are gearing up for what is expected to be another great year!
This upcoming season we will be hosting the 9th annual Cameco Hockey Day in Saskatchewan in Zone 5. The event will be taking place on January 15th-17th.
We will be announcing the community we will be attending soon!
To download the Cameco Hockey Day In Saskatchewan logo for use in your community CLICK HERE.